- Highway Department
To download the following application, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. Instructions for completing and mailing the application are included in the form.
View the Adopt-a-Highway Application (PDF)
These are the terms and conditions for adopting a highway in Cass County:
- The group agrees to pick up litter on a segment of the County highway selected in consultation with the Cass County Highway Department. Length needs to be at least two miles. At the County’s discretion, certain highways may not be eligible.
- The group shall review the safety information before each pick up to alert participants to the hazards and precautions or working on a highway right-of-way.
- The group shall pick up litter during daylight hours only. Pick-up may not be allowed at certain times such as on or near a holiday.
- The group shall provide adequate supervision to participants eighteen years of age or younger. Unless specifically permitted, children eleven or younger shall not participate.
- Work shall be limited to the area between the outer shoulders and the right-of-way boundary. Work may not be done on the roadway itself.
- The group shall arrange a litter pick-up date(s) in advance with the County Engineer or his designee at the County Highway Department. The group shall obtain their supplies (bags and/or vests) during regular business hours.
- The group shall place filled trash bags on the shoulder slope, close to the ditch bottom. Cass County Highway Department will arrange to pick up the bags. Groups are encouraged to recycle appropriate materials for their own benefit.
- Borrowed or unused supplies (bags and/or vests) shall be returned to Cass County Highway Department.
The Cass County Highway Department agrees to:
- Provide high visibility vests, trash bags, and safety information.
- Arrange to remove filled trash bags from the adopted highway.
- Arrange to remove large, heavy or hazardous material from the adopted highway.
- Erect a highway sign or otherwise recognize the group’s clean-up efforts. Highway signs shall be erected only for groups that agree to adopt a highway for a minimum of two years. The name on the sign shall be limited to two lines, 18 to 20 characters and spaces per line. Cass County Highway Department reserves the right to approve and/or edit names or acronyms.
- Once we have erected your sign, any future requested changes to the name on the sign, shall be paid for by the requesting group.